Welcome!

Here at Don't Count On It Reviews, you can read reviews from different artists from different styles.
Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

His Electro Blue Voice - Dead Sons EP (2011)


Band: His Electro Blue Voice
Country: Como, Italy
Style: Post-Punk/Krautrock
Label: Brave Mysteries

I'm sure my first introduction to His Electro Blue Voice was similar to a lot of other peoples, through their split with Nuite Noir. I'll admit that I was more interested in Nuite Noir's material at the time so I don't remember listening to HEBV, but we all make mistakes. But after actually looking, and eventually listening to this album, I will tell you that I've had a change of heart.
When listening to this EP, which I can say was my first time actually listening to the band, it was quite a, let's say, different experience. Since it does come from a vinyl, the three songs are divided with two on side A and one on side B. Opener Dead Mice is a mad piece of music that just throws elements of sludge metal, post-punk, and flares of avant-garde jazz together and it rips your face off before falling into a more folk inspired ending. It's the type of song where the music is very controlled sounding, but it's just blistering and in-your-face at the same time. Eat Sons follows a similar style to the first, but doesn't fall down into the folk ending. Side B is where things get interesting though, Zum is an extended krautrock jam session that just plods along. As the track progresses, you get a repetitive bass-line that plods along until about half-way through when the whole track just stops, before picking up again in another post-punk-esque section.
Great EP, I really can't say enough good things about this, except that now I have to go back and listen to all their older stuff. I have totally been converted into a fan of this band and I look forward to what they do next. Definitely check this out if weird krautrock and post-punk is at all appealing to you.
Overall Score: 8
Highlights: Zum

No comments:

Post a Comment